Reception Curriculum Overview -Summer Term
Early Years Foundation Stage Handbook
Guidance regarding Reception Reading
Here is what Reception are going to be busy with this term. You can download a copy here
RECEPTION SUMMER TERM INFORMATION SHEET
The children have now settled back to school after the Easter break and they are making super progress in all of their learning! We thank you for all of the support which you give them at home, as this really helps to consolidate the work which we do in the classroom.
Please continue to encourage them with their reading at home, both in listening to them read regularly, and in practising and applying their phonemes. Please remember to give your child practice in predicting the story, discussing the main events, re-telling the story and talking about the characters. The children are continuing to use words like title, page, sentence, full stop and capital letter as well as fiction, non-fiction and contents in the classroom and it would be of benefit to use these words at home, too. Many of the children are now at a stage where they are meeting many new and unseen words in their reading. Please continue to remind them of key strategies for dealing with new vocabulary:
- Use picture clues
- Look carefully at the first phoneme
- Blend the phonemes ( but only if the word is “blendable”)
- Decide what would make good sense
Please also encourage your child to write at home, particularly if they show an interest in doing so. In the classroom we encourage the children to write independently by “listening for the phonemes”. This relies heavily on their work with Jolly Phonics.
Over the course of the term we will be attempting to write lists, sentences and even little stories! It is important that the children learn to read through their completed writing to check that it makes sense. Please encourage this skill at home, too.
In our Maths tasks, we will be continuing to count on and back in 1’s and we will learn to count on and back in 2’s, 5’s and 10’s, this term. Most of the children are now learning to read and write the teen numbers and we will be learning how to record addition and subtraction calculations;
3 + 2 = 5 (please note “calculations” as opposed to “sums”). Additionally we will continue our work with shape, coins, length and mass etc
We will be focusing on the following topic areas during the term
- In our work about The World we will grow our own plants and find out about which plants we can eat. We hope to make a visit to a local allotment in the next few weeks.
- We will continue to observe the development of our tadpoles until they become froglets, before returning them to the school pond, and also our caterpillars to butterflies, which will be released in our Outdoor Area at school.
- In our Creative work we will have a try at our own observational drawings of plants, fruit and vegetables.
- In PE we will focus on developing our aiming, throwing, catching, rolling and kicking skills and we will find out how to join in team games! Please remember to send the children’s PE kit each Monday morning and this should include a white t-shirt, dark coloured shorts, a pair of soft “sports type” socks and either sandshoes or trainers. We do need to have all items clearly labelled, including footwear.
- We will continue to use our Outdoor Area for lots of our learning tasks throughout the term, and the school field for team games and our work with balls.
- We will also continue to visit the ICT suite each Monday morning, developing the children’s skills in working with a range of computer software and the keyboard.
With thanks for your continued support!